Saturday, September 24, 2011

Well it truly is my last day in Uganda today.  It has been just like any other day and that I am returning to the cold wet UK tomorrow doesn’t seem real somehow.

My return journey began at 6.00am yesterday after 3 hours sleep.  Nights are lOUD in Uganda.  The hospital holds outreach clinics around Uganda and I was lucky enough to travel with the team to the clinic in Kampala, nicely rounding off my trip.  There were a number of patients at the clinic who were attending follow up appointments. including some children with very big heads, I think it is likely that they have been with the hospital for some time.

I I spent the afternoon exploring the Kampala.  The government buildings would be quite impressive if not behind solid metal sheets which were erected around the perimeter.  The city seemed as manic as when I arrived, with cars and other vehicles everywhere. After a few hours my lungs had had their fill of dust and pollution and I headed back to the hotel for a swim and a debrief meeting on my experiences in Uganda.

After waking to a torrent of rain and seeing the roads turn into rivers of muddy water I travelled to Entebbe.  Entebbe used to be the capital and is only just outside Kampala, the traffic means the journey can easily take an hour.  I was staying in the north of Kampala in an area with wide streets and grand structures.  To the south of the city there is a much different feel, there are the open air markets that I am used to, with rickety stalls crammed together and the mud brick houses which have sprung up to create slum areas. There are a lot of people living in this part of the city.

As it had brightened up I headed to the Botanical Gardens which grace the edges of Lake Victoria.  The gardens were like a large park – groups of school children splashing about on the shores of the lake, lots of trees and many birds flying around; I also managed to spot some Columbus monkeys in a tree. A good way to end the day. 


Early flight tomorrow, just hoping it leaves on time........
Tunalabagana

No comments:

Post a Comment